Monday, December 7, 2009

SPOILER ALERT: EVERYBODY IS NOT FINE

 I saw Everybody's Fine the other day.

 

Partly because I was in the Grove and getting frustrated with the fact that people in LA do not know how to walk.    

I needed to go somewhere where no one was walking.  

So I waited in line to see Santa. 

 

Finally I reached the front, but they wouldn't let me in because I wasn't accompanied by a small child.  Is that ageism or what? 

So I figured I'd be safer in a place where everyone sits and I wouldn’t be discriminated by my age...  so I went to the movie theater.

I secretly have wanted to see Everybody’s Fine since the preview.  It seemed like it had a good cast.  Even though the title makes me question, "If everybody's fine, why do I need to see the movie?"  

But then I got a little homesick.  And my Dad looks just like De Niro, just ask him.


See the resemblance?  TWINSIES!

The movie was okay.  I had low expectations because Entertainment Weekly gave it a D. 

 

My biggest issue with the movie was it’s deceiving title.   It's called "Everybody's Fine"

 

So, I expect it to be able people who are fine.  Maybe even fiiiiiine as in attractive.  But no, it's about….SPOILER ALERT people who are NOT fine.

 

Here’s why:

1.) SUPERMARKETS THAT SELL EVERYTHING 

-

The same person who sells De Niro a Barbeque also sells him a Christmas tree at the SAME SUPER MARKET --- Not fine, last time I went to Ralph's (that's like a Shaw’s for you east coasters) there was NO selling of $600 BBQS and or fully decorated Christmas trees

 

2.) HOT HOMELESS MEN- A homeless person is an attractive 20 something who kind of looks like Ashton Kutcher -- played by this guy:


Okay, maybe this one is fiiiiine, but definitely not fine as in everything is okay.  When was the last time you saw an attractive homeless person?  Even in Los Angles IT NEVER HAPPENS.  

 

3.) NO CELL PHONE

See full size image




 De Niro doesn't own a cell phone just a 1970s answering machine on his landline.  NOT FINE. Who in 2009 does not have a cell phone?  If they were going to make sure a bold choice like that, they might have made some explaination of it.  Something as simple as, "Gee Dad, when are you going to get a cell phone."  

I should've known better.  I've been deceived before.  Like with the movie Milk.

  

I thought it was going to be about my second favorite beverage, but no.  It had NOTHING to do with milk the dairy product.  Got Milk?  This movie didn't…unless if by Milk you meant Harvey Milk.   Unlike the calcium filled drink, this movie did not do the body good, as my back cramped up for sitting down for so long.

For once I would like to see a movie where the title actually describes what the movie is actually about.  Why can't they make more movies that are true to their title? Like "One Fine Day".  



Which, FYI is also the name of a Korean TV Drama (THANKS GOOGLE)



But back to the movie. Guess what it's about?

One day, that was fine and that was it.  Michelle Phifer and George Clooney meet, have a fine day together, then the day ends and so does the movie, with a kiss and the two of them cuddling on the couch.

But then I got to wondering, what happens on that next day.  Is it still fine?  Would he call her?  Would she call him?  Would he suddenly become "busy" or need "space" or suddenly find an upgrade in her best friend?  We'll never know if Clooney and Phifer end up happily ever after.  They just kissed once. How many times have you kissed some one and everything seemed perfect at the time only to discover he was a compulsive liar, or a cheater, or just plain crazy.  Doesn’t sound like a happy ending to me.

Well to be fair it’s not real life.  It’s just a movie.

Also the little boy in the movie who was so adorable: 

Alex D. Linz

Now looks like this:




 

3 comments: