Sunday, August 16, 2009

Sorry America, I'm not "Mad" for "Mad Men" or Flannel



I just watched Mad Men for 2 hours.  

Yes I know the show is an hour long, but I had to watch it twice so I could fully understand it.  Is it just me, or is Mad Men too smart?  Or perhaps my attention span just isn't sophisticated enough for it.  It's really hard for me to follow the show.  Hence, I don't think I could ever really get into the show.

The only thing  I can follow about Mad Men is the style.  I wish I could wear a big pouffy dress, heels and my hair teased up just to go get groceries or frolic around town without people giving me looks.  I just feel that life would be more fun if everyone dressed in Mad Men style 24/7.  

Yes, I mean you LA Boys, I'm so over the "versatile" flannel shirt.  No flannel is not timeless, classic nor dressy.  There is a reason why it is a staple to the "grunge" look and prior to 2009 you only saw flannel on lumberjacks and lesbians.  

Here's an old school SAT analogy to clarify:

1.) FLANNEL: BOYS
(A) THE LITTLE BLACK DRESS: GIRLS
(B) THE PERFECT PUMP: GIRLS
(C) CLASSIC WHITE BUTTON DOWN: GIRLS
(D)UGGS: GIRLS

No, flannel fiends (A) is not the correct match, nor is (B), or (C).   (D) UGGS:GIRLS is the perfect match. Come on Flannel Lovers,  make an effort.  We (well I do at least) have to wear Spanx to fit into my imitation Herve Leger Bandage Dresses, please be a little more creative.

Honestly I'm sick of going out and being engulfed in a sea of flannel.  Don't get me wrong, I have some flannel shirts, But I respect and understand that they are casual wear. 

Anyway back to Mad Men.  I find it interesting of what a phenomenon this show has become.  It's become more than a show, it's a lifestyle.  I can't believe that people watched the premiere in Time Sqaure dressed up Mad Man Style (honestly I'm a little jel I wish I was there, kinda). What is this New Years?  AND on all days... Woodstock's Birthday -- how rude!

I would rant about it but my favorite NYTimes Columnist Frank Rich nailed it:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/16/opinion/16rich.html?_r=1&em

2 comments:

  1. I haven't watched Mad Men, so my opinion could change...but I don't really mind flannel. I think it's a case by case basis. And the uggs thing makes sense. Although I'd never kick the uggs b/c Boston is cold!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heart your blog, Gabi. And agree that Flannel shirts on guys is to Uggs on Girls - both overworn and underwhelming.

    ReplyDelete