Wednesday, September 2, 2009

ALL SHE WANTED WAS JUSTICE, ALL I WANTED WAS A MILKSHAKE





Honestly this whole "PC" shit is getting out of hand.  I'll never forget when that evergreen tree that appeared middle of town hall just before December 25th, decked with lights and topped off with an angel was called a "holiday tree" because in the Westport World "Christmas Tree" was not politically correct.  

Of course, my former hippie mother protested, and I was the innocent bystander. 

It all happened after she picked me up from a party at 2AM.  She wanted justice. All I wanted was milkshake.  

She dragged me to the bridge that leads into our town's main street, aptly called "Main Street".  The streets were empty.  After all, it was 2AM in a town that shuts down at 8PM.  A fact that made my New York mother cry upon our big move to the suburbs ten years ago.

We pull over.  She unleashes her weapon.  A 8X10 sign reading "Keep Christ In Christmas" written in glittering bubble letters.  She proudly places it on the bridge, straightening it about 4-9 times.  At last she stands back as to say, "That'll show them!"  

The next day the sign was taken down and The Westport Minute Man news still refereed to that tree as a "holiday tree".  I never got a milkshake, and my mother never got justice.  



No comments:

Post a Comment